Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting my feet wet

I am back in Mexico after a short trip home and we are in the last semester of our school.  It is great to be studying the story of Jesus at the same time as Easter.  This week with my school we will have communion to remember the last supper and then there will be some activities on Easter Sunday to remember what Jesus did for us. 

The last month was a month of transition, I was able to go home for a week and spend time in Corpus Christi.  The discipleship training schools on the base left for their outreach to Panama, and another training school is set to start today.  This constant change is part of the YWAM culture, saying good bye to old friends and getting to know new ones.  Transition also seems to define my life these last two years as well.  I had no idea that when I left for my DTS in 2009 that it would lead to a season of traveling.  Now I feel this season coming to an end.   I have talked with several people while I was home and people here in YWAM about options for my future.  I am faithfully waiting for God to show me what is next, and while I am anxious to see where I will land I know God has a place for me. 

Here on the base we are just a short walk to the beach.  The waves here are much bigger than in Texas and of course the water is also colder.  I have been interested in surfing since my time working on Mustang Islands, but was not sure about the cold water out here.  Finally last week I decided to get a wet suit and a board.  I paid less than 200 dollars for both which made this investment possible.  I share this with you because yesterday in the water I realized how much surfing out here relates with my present situation.  I did not grow up surfing like many of the people in the Baja.  The waves, size of my board and water temperature are things that I need to adapt to in order to surf.  Fear of these new conditions made me hesitant to engage and get in the water.  Now that I am in I am glad to have the opportunity to try and surf my last month’s here.  In this next year I feel I will be going into unfamiliar water.  My job and responsibilities will hopefully change, and I will be trying to move into a leadership role rather than that of a student.   I have caught only a handful of waves in my life, but those few successes keep me motivated to go out and continue with this hobby.  In the same way I have only really desired to follow God in the last few years of my life, but these years I can say have been the best yet.  I am so glad to have the opportunity to try and surf the last few months I am here, and I cannot wait to see what God has for me after this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment