Monday, June 27, 2011

My last month in Newark

It’s hard to imagine that a year ago I was headed to New York as a tourist with my family unaware that I would be spending the next year of my life just a few miles away.  Last week I was working in New York with The Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI) helping move archives from lower Manhattan to Queens and then back to Port Newark. At the end of the day, all I wanted to do was get out of the city and back to Jersey!  New York is an amazing place, but not sure if it is one for me.  The stark contrast of rich and poor is unbelievable and because of the proximity it is unavoidable.  I have seen so many people homeless and jobless.  People step over and around the homeless most trying to avoid eye contact so they want feel guilty for not giving.  I find myself doing the same thing not wanting to fall victim to a scam.  Where has my compassion for others gone? This being said, I do not want to forget those in New York who are working tirelessly to help those in need.   As my time comes to an end the bright lights of New York have dimmed.  The ideas I once held about this amazing city have changed, but not all in a negative way.  This last weekend I took a bike ride on Governors Island, tried “hot pot” in Queens for the first time, ate Indian food on the Upper West side, and I got to see Stomp!  What a weekend!

As my internship comes to a close, I seem to be more focused on who I spend my last weekends with rather than where.  I think I could live in New York for the rest of my life and still have a bucket list of things I wanted to see or experience, but it is once again the people in my life that make the year worth remembering.  The friendships I will take away from this year are more exciting and rewarding than anything I experienced in New York.  I have learned so much about living with others and trying to love people for who they are.  I do, however, wonder why I find myself trying to make time for all of these people and so often forget about spending time with God.  I find myself putting off that needed quiet time with God where I can pray and read.  Instead of spending an hour praying and reading the bible like I did in YWAM, I am reduced to clicking a link on my droid phone and reading a daily devotional in the morning.  It seems much harder to focus on spending time with God than spending time with the people I have become close to in my year in Newark. 

Even during my struggles here, I cannot forget to be thankful for what God has given me in my time here and how he continues to work in my life.  I have received emails, letters, and calls asking for updates about my trip next year, as well as, offering words of encouragement.  In one month I have received almost $1,000 in support and a great deal on a plane ticket to San Diego.  In all these ways I continue to see God working in my life, and feel more confident about taking this next step. 

My last three weeks in Newark will be spent getting ready to move, saying goodbye, and finishing up work with the SCI.  Please continue to pray for me; for my trip home, time with my family, and for my next year.  It is scary to think in just a few months I will be leaving for another year of missions.  Pray for my intern program as well.  We are all taking big steps next year and need prayers for wisdom and strength.  Finally I hope that you will pray for Newark Acts.  It is close to finishing its inaugural year, and is already preparing for its next set of interns. 

I hope everyone is having a great summer.  God Bless! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mark, sounds like you life is headed in a direction both you and God want it to go. Im excited for you and will keep you in prayer

    ReplyDelete